Beef and Eggplant Lasagna
2 lb extra lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
½ tsp fresh ground pepper
½ tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups tomato sauce
1 large eggplant
1 ½ cups grated part skim mozzarella
½ tbsp olive oil
1. In a large skillet, cook and brown the beef. Remove it from the pan and pour off any excess fat and discard the excess fat.
2. In the same hot skillet, add the onions and peppers and sauté over medium heat.
3. When the onions are translucent, add the flour, spices and tomato sauce and let simmer until the mixture thickens.
4. Add the beef to the tomato sauce mixture and mix together and set aside.
5. Slice the eggplant into ½ inch slices and layer half of them in a 2 quart casserole dish.
6. Add half of the beef mixture and then half of the cheese and repeat these layers.
7. Baked uncovered for 45 minutes.