- 2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 ½ cups grated part skim mozzarella
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- In a large skillet, cook and brown the beef. Remove it from the pan and pour off any excess fat and discard the excess fat.
- In the same hot skillet, add the onions and peppers and sauté over medium heat.
- When the onions are translucent, add the flour, spices and tomato sauce and let simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Add the beef to the tomato sauce mixture and mix together and set aside.
- Slice the eggplant into ½ inch slices and layer half of them in a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Add half of the beef mixture and then half of the cheese and repeat these layers.
- Baked uncovered for 45 minutes.